We all know how sleep rejuvenates and replenishes the body. Waking up after a good night sleep leaves us ready to take on the world, to tackle the day head on. Generally it is important to get in excess of 7 hours sleep. When we consistently achieve less sleep than needed it is not only tiredness which sets in.
Unfortunately our immune system is also affected after just 3 days of insufficient sleep. This predisposes us to less resistance and more infections. It also leaves up depleted and more vulnerable emotionally. Our thinking and rationalizing ability is also impaired.
Insomnia is the lack of restful and healthful sleep and affects up to 30% of people nationwide. Some triggers for insomnia include:
• Loss of loved one
• Disturbing noises (eg barking)
• Biological rhythm upset (night workers)
• Addiction to stimulating drugs (eg coffee/amphetamines)
• Neurotransmitter imbalance
The greatest problem with insomnia is that it can become cyclic and entrenched. The benefit of herbs will be to assist the nervous system to quieted and return to normal functioning. In addition to a herbal tonic, the following are some other considerations that may be incorporated:
• Exercise regularly helps to deepen sleep
• Make sure the bedroom is insulated against both sound and light (use ear plugs)
• Sleep in a moderate to cool temperature.
• Avoid napping
• Use relaxation techniques before retiring to assist the body to wind-down
Insomnia herbal contents:
Valerian, Passionflower, Zizyphus, Withania, Skullcap, Lavender, Hops
Disclaimer: At herb hub we do not diagnose disease or illness. We can offer a program to assist with healing, after you have had advice from your doctor or specialist. Should you have unexplained symptoms, it is vital that you speak to your doctor.