10 Ways To Detox - Getting Started
By herbhubc, Sep 24 2016 05:47AM
WHAT TO DO FIRST
· The first thing that will help to lighten your toxic load is to eliminate alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, refined sugars, saturated fats and processed foods. These foods are major obstacles to any healing process.
· The next step is to minimize stress levels thereby reducing the amounts of cortisol (stress hormone) released into your body. Although cortisol is a useful hormone in the right setting, it slows the detoxification process down in the liver.
· Yoga, meditation and gentle walks in a natural setting all help to relieve stress by resetting physical and mental business and lowering cortisol.
· Finally, minimize the use of chemical household cleaners and health care products (shampoos, deodorants and toothpastes) and substitute with natural alternatives.
10 WAYS TO HELP YOUR BODY DETOXIFY
Eat plenty of high fiber containing foods, including brown rice, hummus and seeds. Taking psyllium husk or a herbal fiber supplement that contains some additional detox herbs will greatly assist to speed up the transit time in the bowel. This will also help to massage the gut wall, acting like a broom to sweep the intestines clean and encourage movement in the colon.
A parasitic herbal can help to remove unwanted inhabitants of the gut, allowing the body to receive nutrition that may otherwise be consumed by these parasites.
The digestive system is the source of most of the toxic material that our body has to deal with. Overgrowth of unfriendly bacteria can lead to damage to the lining of the digestive system, and the absorption of waste products into the bloodstream. A safe and effective method for restoring the bacterial balance is to supplement with friendly bacteria known as a probiotic. There are many different strains for probiotics and each of them has a slightly different function. For example, Lactobacillus plantarum is specifically beneficial for IBS symptoms, while Lactobacillus rhamnosus LGG has been clinically shown to be beneficial for allergies and food intolerances.
Food is our greatest source of toxic exposure, and there is no point trying to detoxify unless you reduce the amount of toxins coming into the system.
To reduce toxic exposure, make some basic dietary changes. Consume organically grown fresh fruits and vegetables such as beetroots, spirulina, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, chlorella, broccoli, and seaweed. All of these foods assist with liver detoxification. Significantly reduce your consumption of red meat, processed foods, dairy, flavours, colours and preservatives.
Assist the liver by taking a liver detoxification herbal that contain herbs such as Dandelion root, Burdock, Milk thistle, Globe Artichoke and Schisandra. These herbs act by supporting each of the liver detoxification pathways.
Introduce helpful supplements
· Vitamin C helps the body produce glutathione, a compound that is responsible for energy production and assists with toxin elimination via the liver. Take this vitamin in good amounts.
· Zinc is also crucial to digestive health, as it is essential for normal growth and repair of the lining of the digestive system. Studies have shown 75% of the Australian population to be zinc deficient.
· Antioxidants are natural nutrients and plant chemicals that may prevent damage to the body from toxin exposure. They may help to minimize any unpleasant symptoms from undergoing a detoxification program.
Liquids and Herbal Teas
· Drink at least two liters of water a day and make up a vegetable broth which will nourish as well as hydrate. Hydrating the body will help flush out and eliminate toxins via the kidneys.
· First thing every morning drink lemon in warm water. This will kick-start your digestion by stimulating stomach acid and get your system ready to receive food. It also stimulates your liver at the start of each day to support breakdown of chemicals and toxins.
· Drink herbal teas that contain blood cleansers and other helpful detox herbs which are designed to assist and speed up the process.
- Reduce stress by using positive thinking and gratitude exercises.
- Try using meditation and yoga to help with relaxation.
- Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system. This will invigorate the body and relax the mind.
- Take a tonic or supplement which can help to alleviate stress.
Thirty minutes of exercise each day. A mini trampoline is ideal for encouraging lymphatic circulation and drainage which aids the elimination of toxins via the liver and kidneys.
· Taking a sauna helps detoxification through the skin by sweating.
· Dry-brush your skin can help to remove toxins by clearing dead skin cells improving appearance, tone and function.
· Get regular gentle exercise as it helps increase circulation and removal of toxins via the bloodstream as well as the skin.
WHICH DETOX IS BEST?
Many of us have busy schedules and are unable to fast or follow a program which is too rigorous, in which case following the above tips will be best for you. You can get some fabulous results by making just a few small changes and taking a few extras such as a herbal tonic or liver detox tea to give added benefits.
If your schedule allows you to take some time off, there are numerous options available.
If you are feeling overly depleted, make sure to first nourish your body by giving it some rest and TLC. At herbhub we can help you achieve optimal health by addressing any deficiency states prior to detoxing.
5 MOST POPULAR DETOX DIETS
A Colon Cleanse
The key idea is to utilize the basics here. Water, fiber and supplements or herbs are used to flush out the built up toxins from your intestines to achieve an upgrade.
Fruit and Vegetable Juice Fast
Juicing has long been used as a way to get lots of vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables in a concentrated form. They take advantage of this vitamin mega-dose for meal replacement. This cleanse is often high in sugar from fruits and some vegetables such as carrot, beetroot and corn. It is important to note that this cleanse is lower in fiber and protein than the green smoothie cleanse, as the fiber from the fruit and veg is discarded.
Liver Cleansing Detox
Uses herbs and supplements to aid the liver in its detoxification processes. This fast can be intense so it is important to take it slowly. If you have a slow bowel or suffer from constipation it may be best to do a bowel fiber cleanse first so that the main pathway of elimination is working adequately. Otherwise detox symptoms could be extreme and cause excessive symptoms.
The Master Cleanse
This cleanse was made mainstream by Beyoncé and involves drinking a concoction of lemon water, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper in conjunction with herbal teas for about 10 days.
Green Smoothie Cleanse
One of the more popular detox programs. It incorporates green foods that are low in sugars and provide a good source of fiber as a meal replacement which stimulates elimination via the bowel. The great thing about this is that many of these green foods are brilliant detoxifiers for all organs of the body.
Detoxing doesn’t need to be difficult or uncomfortable. It can be easy and enjoyable and a fantastic way to reset eating patterns for a healthier and happier you.
Any questions? Ask the naturopath.
To start with try our liver detox tea